When you are searching for a home, sometimes new construction is just the right fit. Purchasing new construction has many allures: being the first to live in the property, not worrying about updates, brand new appliances, etc…you might even get to select finishes.
Your first thought is to just simply go to the model home and look for a builder’s agent; after all, they are there to help you with the process, right? Well not really, the builder’s agent is there to do exactly what the name indicates represent the builder. In a normal real estate transaction, they would be the seller’s agent. This is why you need YOUR OWN AGENT; they will be there to represent you and have your best interest.
What can YOUR agent help you with?
- Finding The Right Builder. Your agent has knowledge, experience and connections. Your agent will know the ins-and-outs of the builder’s reputation, workmanship and customer service.
- Negotiations. Anything from price, assistance on closing cost, and upgrades in finishes, all while making sure you are getting the most bang for your buck (think re-sale value).
- Financing. Yes, the builders will have their own financing that might even come with some perks. We all know that shopping around is wise though, and your agent will have contacts so you can make sure you are getting the best financing for your personal situation.
- Home Inspection. Your agent will ensure that you have a home inspection. New construction is not without defects, so you want to make sure these issues are taken care of by the builder.
- Keep It On Track. Your agent will guide you through the path. Contracts, deadlines-timelines, earnest money.